Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gentlemen's Espadrilles -- Phillip Lim Leather Espadrilles from Spring 2011

My First Ever Espadrilles
(Below) Finally, a show box that I don't wanna throw away
because it's beautiful and functional.
(Below) Wearing Band of Outsiders Shorts
& Dries Van Noten Shirt


(Below) Dries Van Noten Fall 2010

On a recent trip to New York,  I tried on this espadrilles at the Phillip Lim store at SOHO and instantly fell in love with it. While I was getting bored with the mediocre spring cloths and disappointed by the spare men's collection, I spotted this espadrilles lying innocently on the display table. Believe or not, I was going to make fun of its odd shape and the fact that it is...em....well.... an espadrilles. 

As an ethnic minority, I somehow developed a dislike for clothes that are too ethnic. My style, if I have any, has been more of urbanized preppy. Among all the colorful and bold prints, I thought espadrilles are "too ethnic" for a "city mouse" >< But my friend insisted that I should try it on since he's more of a "country mouse".

Well, you never know! I'm not sure if it's the buttery soft leather or the plaited rope sole, but my feet has never been this comfortable. I just couldn't hide my fondness for the shoe and with "deliberation", I decided to get it when it's still available. The city mouse couldn't be more embarrassed for his pragmatic opinion about espadrilles... so are you a city mouse or a country mouse? 

11 comments:

  1. Well I am a very certified City Mouse hahah..I just hate going to the country..but I admit that I think, when ethnic pieces are used properly..they can really turn into amazing things...We have a confection over here called "Mola" and its very very ethnic but..there are designers that have used them in incredible way (like one who made a jacket out of it) and its just breathtaking!

    xx
    Andy
    The Black Label

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i am city mouse and i don't have a liking for ethnic clothes and accessories. but i don't find espadrilles ethnic at all. i think it's just unconventional. i don't know. but with a leather upper, that pair is way far from being ethnic for sure.

    nouveauskin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andy, I googled Mola and I'm very impressed by the intricate and beautiful works. I can totally see Christopher Kane and Dries Van Noten incorporate Mola into their collections:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KC: Exactly! the leather upper makes it a city mouse gear with a country mouse root:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg your shoes are so cute, love them!
    your shirt is great too!


    blog
    twitter
    zebra and meerkat shop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice shoes¡¡¡
    www.miltyflinn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feed the hungry animal with lots of comments @-@

Related Posts with Thumbnails